There are two types of accounts: Mojang accounts, which are created at Mojang.com and can have a number of Mojang games registered to them, and Minecraft accounts, which were created prior to November, 2012. The following should explain the differences between account types:
Mojang Account (Created at Mojang.com)
- All new registrations are Mojang accounts.
- You have registered a Mojang account and can purchase or have purchased Mojang games.
- These games appear as profiles on your Mojang account.
- You log into your account with your email address and Mojang account password.
If you created a Minecraft account prior to November, 2012, the following may apply to you:
Mojang Account (Migrated from Minecraft Account)
- You have migrated your paid Minecraft account to a Mojang account.
- You use your email address and Mojang account password to log into the game and Minecraft.net. You can no longer log into Minecraft.net with a username.
Minecraft Account - Premium (Paid)
- You have purchased a copy of Minecraft from Minecraft.net.
- You use your Minecraft username and password to log into the game and Minecraft.net.
- As all new purchases now use the Mojang accounts system, it is no longer possible to create a Minecraft account without first having a Mojang account.
Minecraft Account - Registered (Unpaid)
- You have previously registered a Minecraft username, but did not pay for an account upgrade.
- You use your Minecraft username and password to log into Minecraft.net.
- As all new purchases now use the Mojang accounts system, it is no longer possible to create an unpaid Minecraft account.
- If you have previously registered a Minecraft username, have not purchased Minecraft with it, and would still like to use that username, you will need to create a Mojang account, make your purchase, and import your registered Minecraft username.