Minecraft system requirements
This information has been compiled by the Minecraft community on the Minecraft wiki. Please visit the Hardware Performance wiki page for the most up to date information, or to compare your computer's hardware and software with other users' computers listed as being able to play the game.
A computer with the minimum requirements should be able to play Minecraft. However, for the best experience, please consider the recommended requirements.
- CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
- RAM: 2GB
- GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
- GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1
- HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files
- Java 6 Release 45
- CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
- RAM: 4GB
- GPU: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
- HDD: 1GB
- Latest release of Java 8 from java.com
- Minecraft Release 1.6 or newer. Older versions will need to be updated to current versions
- Please note that some users experience issues playing Minecraft while using a mismatched version of Java for their operating system (32 or 64 bit), while using certain versions of Java 7, or while multiple versions of Java are installed
If you have a laptop with an a built-in (integrated) graphics card, rather than a dedicated card, it is highly suggested that you try the demo before purchase.
A stable internet connection is required for Minecraft to download game files, authenticate usernames, and connect to multiplayer servers. You'll need to download and run Minecraft while connected to the internet at least once; afterwards, you can play without an internet connection, but will need to connect if you'd like to receive updates or play online.
Minecraft will not run on a toaster (despite some actually using Java), your car (feel free to prove us wrong, though), or a Chromebook.
Information on system requirements for running a Minecraft server can be found on the Minecraft wiki.
Did you find this article helpful?